Live in Caregivers and PR Streams
Since November 30, 2014, if applicant has not worked in Canada under the Live-in Caregiver Program and Labour Market Impact Assessment application was issued by Service Canada after this date, applicant must apply for a regular work permit.
Applicant must meet certain requirements to be eligible for the Live-in Caregiver Program in Canada:
- A positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from an employer in Canada
- A written contract with your future employer, signed by you and the employer
- Successful completion of the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school education
- At least six months’ training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or in a related field or occupation (including six months with one employer) in the past three years
- Good knowledge of English or French
- A work permit before you enter Canada
The work you do on a live-out basis may count towards the work requirement in order to apply for PR through either the Caring for Children or Caring for People with High Medical Needs pathway.
- To be eligible under the Caring for Children pathway, applicant:
- Must have work experience under the definition in the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) Group 4411 for at least 24 months of full-time work experience in Canada as a home child care provider in the four years. Children must be under the age of 18.
- Applicant does not need to have lived in your employer’s home to be qualified.
- Applicant must meet the minimum language levels of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5
- Education: a completed Canadian or international post-secondary education credential of at least one year
- To be eligible under the Caring for People with High Medical needs pathway:
- Must have at least 24 months of full-time work experience in Canada in the four years (48 months) in one of the following jobs listed in NOC:
- Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses (NOC 3012)
- Licensed practical nurses (NOC 3233)
- Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates (NOC 3413)
- Home support workers and related occupations (NOC 4412). Housekeepers are not eligible.
- Must meet minimum language levels for the job, CLB 7 for a registered nurse or registered psychiatric nurse, NOC 3012, and CLB 5 for NOC 3233, 3413 or 4412.
- Must have a completed Canadian or international post-secondary education credential of at least one year.