Ontario PNP Guide
- Ontario PNP: The Corporate Stream
The Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program’s Corporate Stream helps and supports established international corporations looking to expand into Ontario or buy an existing business in the province. Once your business has been successfully established and meets the obligations of the Performance Agreement, a maximum of 5 key staff that are essential to the establishment, continued operation and the success of the business can become eligible for nomination for permanent resident status.
Ineligible Types of Businesses
- Existing Franchises in Ontario (new foreign franchises expanding into Ontario are permitted) only inside GT
- Gas Stations only inside GT
- Tire Recycling
- Scrap Metal Recycling
- Bed and Breakfasts
- Holding Companies
- Automated Car Wash Operations
- Payday loan and related businesses
- Corporate Requirements
The corporation must have been established for at least 36 months at the time of application.
- Investment Requirements
- The corporation must make a minimum investment of $5 million to expand into Ontario or purchase an existing business in the province.
- The source of investment funds must have been obtained from legal sources.
- The proposed investment activity must be of significant economic benefit to Ontario. This will be determined through an assessment of the corporation’s business plan.
- Local Job Creation Requirements
The corporation must create 5 new full-time permanent jobs for Canadians or Permanent Residents per each key staff. For example, if you are proposing 5 key staff, you must create 25 full-time permanent jobs in the business for Canadians or Permanent Residents in Ontario.
After OINP has confirmed that the corporation has met commitments outlined in the Performance Agreement; the key staff must meet the following general nomination criteria to be considered for nomination:
- Key Staff Position: Key staff must be in the position for which they were approved by OINP and carrying out the approved job duties.
- Residency Requirements: The key staff must reside and be physically present in Ontario for 75% of each year (9 months out of the year) that they are in Ontario under a temporary work permit to support the business.
- Language Requirements: At the time of nominee application submission, key staff must have language proficiency at a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB)
2. Ontario PNP: Entrepreneur Stream
The Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program’s Entrepreneur Stream is designed to support individuals from countries outside Canada who are looking to implement a new business idea or buy an existing business in our province. The Entrepreneur Stream offer has been successfully established in Ontario. entrepreneurs the opportunity to be nominated for permanent resident status once their business
Ineligible Types of Businesses (Similar to Corporate Stream)
Existing Franchises in Ontario (new foreign franchises expanding into Ontario are permitted) only inside GT, Gas Stations only inside GT, Tire Recycling, Scrap Metal Recycling, Pawnbrokers, Bed and Breakfasts, Holding Companies, Laundromats, Automated Car Wash Operations, Pay day loan and related businesses, Businesses which have been previously owned / operated by current or former OINP business stream nominees
- Minimum Requirements: There are 5 factors that have minimum eligibility requirements for the Principal Applicant and Business Partner:
- Experience: At least 36 months of full-time business experience in the last 60 months, your experience must be as a business owner OR as a senior manager.
- Net Worth:
- Proposed business will be located within the GTA, you must have a minimum net worth of $1,500,000.
- Proposed business will be located outside the GTA, you must have a minimum net worth of $800,000.
- Personal Investment Funds:
- Proposed business will be located within the GTA; you must make a minimum personal investment of $1,000,000 and have a minimum equity ownership of 33.3%.
- Proposed business will be located outside the GTA; you must make a minimum personal investment of $500,000 and have a minimum equity ownership of 33.3%.
- Job Creation: must commit to create at least 2 permanent full-time jobs for Canadian citizens / permanent residents.
- Exploratory Visit: If you purchase an existing business, you must make at least one business-related visit to Ontario in the last 12 months, prior to submitting your application.
- Nomination Requirements
- Language Requirement: Official language proficiency at a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 level or equivalent.
- Residency Requirement: To meet the active management requirements of the program, you must be physically residing in Ontario for 75% (9 months out of the year) for the period in which you are in Ontario establishing your business (your performance agreement period).
- Experience (20 to 50 points)
- Investment (90 points)
- Human Capital (20 points)
- Exploratory Visits (5 points)
- Key Sector Targeted (10 points)
- National Occupation Classification A,B, O (10 to 15 points)
- Official Language Ability (15 points)
The maximum score available is 160 points.
- Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI).
- If you are invited to apply, you can submit a complete application to the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).
- If your application is approved, you will sign a Performance Agreement outlining the commitments you have made to invest and create jobs in the province. You will be issued a temporary work permit support letter to apply for a temporary work permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)1 in order to establish your business in Ontario.
- If you meet the commitments of your Performance Agreement, you may be eligible to be nominated by Ontario for permanent resident status.
- Successful nominees must apply to IRCC for permanent resident status within six (6) months of being nominated by OINP.