Student Visa and PR Stream

/Student Visa and PR Stream
Student Visa and PR Stream2016-11-01T19:42:27+00:00

 Study permit

Eligibility Criteria:

  • an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution,
  • leaving Canada at the end of the studies.
  • Length of study must be more than six months
  • have enough money for the duration of the stay in Canada to pay for tuition fees, living expenses for student and accompanying family members, and transportation costs to and from Canada for student and accompanying family members.
  • may be asked to provide a Police Clearance Certificate,
  • may be asked to provide a medical examination,
  • As a study permit holder, student must remain enrolled at a program and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing the program.
  • the prohibition of engaging in employment unless on campus jobs.
  • attending preschool or completing a distance learning program do not require a study permit.

Work on campus (without a work permit)

Students may work on campus at the institution where they study without a work permit if:

  • they are a full-time student
  • they have a valid study permit.
  • Applied and have a Social Insurance Number

Work off campus (without a work permit)

Study permit holders in Canada may gain work experience by working off campus while completing their studies. They may qualify to work off campus without a work permit.

  • work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.
  • have a valid study permit,
  • be a full-time student,
  • be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.
  • Social Insurance Number

Work as a co–op student or intern

To be eligible for a work permit, students must meet the following requirements:

  • must have a valid study permit
  • intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada, and employment must be part of your academic, vocational or professional training program offered by a designated learning institution, certified by a letter from a responsible academic official of the institution.
  • co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50% (percent) of the total program of study.
  • Student will not be eligible to work during your studies if they study English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL), or they participate in general interest or preparatory courses.[1]

Post-graduation work permit

The PGWPP allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through Express Entry.

A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, and the study program must be a minimum of eight months in length. For example, if you graduate from a four-year degree program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit if you meet the criteria. If you graduate from an eight-month certificate program, you would be eligible for a work permit that is valid for no more than eight months.[2]

Eligibility Criteria:

To obtain a work permit after your graduation, applicant must meet the following requirements:

  • must have studied full time in Canada and you must have completed a program of study that lasted at least eight months.
  • must have graduated from an authorized public or private post-secondary institution in Canada lasted 900 hours or more
  • must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation for completing an academic program and being eligible to obtain your degree, diploma or certificate.
  • must have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit.
  • Must be 18 years of age or older at the time of application
  • A Post-Graduation Work Permit cannot be valid longer than the length of your studies in Canada.

Immigrate to Canada through Canadian Experience Class

An international student who graduated in Canada and gained 12 months’ work experience in Canada under NOC O, A, B may be eligible to apply to stay in Canada permanently under Express Entry.

[1] For more information please visit

[2] For more information please visit